Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Scott O'Dell: Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I had, and read, this book as a child and it has stayed with me since. I absolutely loved this book. So much so that even recently I researched the true story the book is based on...which I have to say does not end so well, really making me wish I hadn't looked it up.



As with most aboriginal tribes in North America coming in contact with other peoples, her culture was wiped out. No one really knows what happened to them, whether they were assimilated into another tribe thru capture, or died due to exposure to relatively minor diseases of the european descended settlers.



Mr. O'Dell does a wonderful job with this story for young readers. The pictures he weaves with words still stays with me nearly 30 years later. This is one of the FEW books on the required/accelerated reading lists that I think really belongs for younger readers. Usually the books are so depressing and grim, that they really aren't appropriate for youngsters who are undergoing such tremendous changes anyway...






View all my reviews.

No comments: