Monday, June 30, 2008

an email from my friend Jilly in the UK

Hi Michelle,

Well, you really got me started! I just love her poems. I downloaded a .pdf of 270 of them from her page on http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-law/

Can I just share these 2 with you. Hope you don't mind, but I think her work is amazing and just wanted to show you.

For example, this poem.
Verse 1 My thoughts ....
Verse 2 My purpose ...
Verse 3 My Life ...
Verse 4 My heart ...

Fleeing Away

My thoughts soar not as they ought to soar,
Higher and higher on soul-lent wings;
But ever and often and more and more
They are dragged down earthward by little things,
By little troubles and little needs,
As a lark might be tangled among the weeds.
My purpose is not what it ought to be,
Steady and fixed, like a star on high,
But more like a fisherman's light at sea;
HIther and thither it seems to fly --
Sometimes feeble, and sometimes bright,
Then suddenly lost in the gloom of night.
My life is far from my dream of life --
Calmly contented, serenely glad;
But, vexed and worried by daily strife,
It is always troubled and ofttimes sad --
And the heights I had thought I should reach one day
Grow dimmer and dimmer, and farther away.
My heart never finds the longed-for rest;
Its worldly striving, its greed for gold,
Chilled and frightened the calm-eyed guest
Who sometimes sought me in days of old;
And ever fleeing away from me
Is the higher self that I long to be

Ella Wheeler Wilcox 1850 -1919

And being a great animal campaigner and my signature at Yuku (which I don't use often) is A Voice for The Voiceless.

I couldn't believe it when I found this poem among her collection ..... !

Voice of the Voiceless
I am the Voice of the Voiceless
Through me the dumb shall speak
Till the world's deaf ear be made to hear
The wrongs of the wordless weak.
Oh shame on the mothers of mortals
Who do not stoop to teach
The sorrow that lies in dear dumb eyes
The sorrow that has no speech.
From street, from cage, from kennel
From stable and from zoo
The wall of my tortured kin proclaims the sin
Of the mighty against the grail.
But I am my brother's keeper
And I shall fight their fight
And speak the word for beast and bird
Till the world shall set things right.

Emma Wheeler Wilcom 1850 - 1919

I'll leave you in peace now ..... :
lol Hugs jilly

No comments: