Monday, June 16, 2008

2008 Tony Awards-my take on it

I loved the show, it's the best in years! Finally we get to see more of the plays and musicals!

I do have disagreements with other reviewers of awards shows, such as the one from Yahoo below. I personally get really pissed when the music starts playing during the acceptance/thank you speeches. I WANT TO HEAR THE SPEECHES! Then you can see who they are really. Yes they should keep the speeches brief, but sometimes the pure emotion of the moment is disrupted when that music starts. And it is all to appease the idiot critics who believe that the artists shouldn't be allowed to speak. Well, they have worked hard for years to finally acheive this prize, and unlike the Oscars and the Grammy's (what a waste of airspace), these artists rarely get the praise and the kudos for the public to see. They usually are not well known to the general public. Not like the other two shows mentioned.

So if the winners want to talk, let them. If the show runs long, who gives a sh*t.

Now to the positive moments. I loved seeing the performances, I missed them. I don't get to go to shows, none nearby. Even if some were near, probably couldn't afford it, and probably wouldn't be able to comfortable sit thru the shows. I would love to see these (all productions) archived on dvd and available for purchase from the public. Some are, but all should be.

But I do have to admit that the opening number from The Lion King really did me in, and set the tone for the show. Such emotion and heartfelt performances!

Bravo! Broadway! Keep it up and spread it around!

No comments: