Saturday, June 21, 2008

the Bucket List

This movie was really, really good! I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, and probably would have enjoyed it more if my sister hadn't called (twice) during the movie...I stopped the movie each time. And rolled my aunts hair. So it was an interrupted viewing. Which really kinda pissed me off. But anyway.

This is definitely a movie that those of a "certain" generation OUGHT to watch, but also the younger generations ought to be encouraged to view as well. The lesson in it is pretty much to not take life for granted, it could end at any time.


Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman play two very different men from very different walks of life who wind up sharing a hospital room when both are diagnosed with cancer. And not good odds. So Morgan's character starts a "Bucket List", things he wants to do before he "kicks the bucket." He only gets three jotted down before he crumples up the paper and tosses it aside, because the doctor has just given him very grim news. Jack's character takes a look at it and says they ought to do it, and make it more of an adventure. His character has the money to fund the trip. They travel the world, see amazing, I mean AMAZING sights, and become friends. Ornery ones, but still friends.

The ending, not going to give it away here, is just truly heart-inspiring and wonderful. And I don't know if the scenic shots are the actual places or stock film or backlot scenery or whatever, but it was BEAUTIFUL!!

And as the credits roll, John Mayer's song "Say" comes on, and is so truly inspired. Whomever chose this song, kudo's to you. Makes the tears just come without any more prompting than the words and the movie you just witnessed.

Everyone should make a Bucket List...things that you really want to do before you die. You may not achieve them all, but you can get a start on them. You never, ever, know when your time may come, and you cannot wait. It may be tomorrow or forty years from now. I have a partial list in my head, and realize that due to finances, I am unlikely to realize some if not most of them. But I can dream.

No comments: